Installing the recoated tank

Its been a while since my last post and that can mean two things, good or bad news… fortunately it was the first one!!! I’ve been driving alot the last few weeks.
The weather in the Netherlands was really nice this month (October), much better than August and September, which looked like Autumn already began. So perfect conditions for driving the last weeks!

I had to go out, and that’s why my blog was a little bit neglected, sorry for that!
In the meantime a lot of things were done, If I have to continue where I stopped, I have to tell you about installing my fuel tank, so here we go:

As you might remember, my fuel tank was severely rusted inside, the flakes of rust blocked the fuel hoses and therefore the truck wouldn’t run for more than a few minutes.
I found this great company with the help of a fellow dutch cruiser on Mud. (), somewhere located in the north of the Netherlands.
This company uses a technique where the fuel tank will be held in an acid bath for a while until its cleaned to completely bare metal. No more rust. Of course to protect the bare metal, it needs to be coated afterwards. The company uses a Poly Urethane coating which will result in a layer of a few mm thick coating that is so strong, the tank will never rust again, and will close any small punctures in the tank, so it’s also impossible to leak afterwards.
The outside of the tank got a black Poly Urethane coating sprayed on, so it looks like new again.

Installing was a bit more difficult than removing, took me a while until everything was back in place, especially the right angle was hard to achieve when working upside down above your head.
Before I reconnected all the hoses I had a bright moment to think about blowing some pressurized air through the whole system, so I disconnected the rubber hose starting at the primer pump and blew some air in the direction of the tank (not connected to the tank of course) Boy, this gave some mess… a lot of rusty debris got out of the hose, so definitely the reason why it ran so bad.

The last step was installing a new Fuel filter (OEM Toyota), connecting all the hoses and using the primer pump to get some diesel in the hoses between the primer pump and the fuel tank.

Last steps were: filling the fuel tank with fresh diesel, Starting the engine, and opened both bleeding screws on top of the fuel filter and the fuel pump, yes it was squirting clean diesel!!!
The engine ran like a dream… and most importantly, kept on going…

I was ready to go outside…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: