This post actually covers a few weeks of work, but always done on the side, and to my opinion never interesting enough to make it a separate post. I started sanding the almost new Toyota rims I bought somewhere in January if i remember correctly. These 16″ rims, mounted on the European versions of the Land cruisers after 1982 (other countries like USA, had the 15″ version aka “wagon wheels”), were in excellent condition. No rust whatsoever, cleaning up, sanding and removing all the grease of the 5 rims just took me a few hours.
Then I applied a few coats of epoxy primer, already a lot better than factory, because the paint coats they applied were very thin, and therefore not really rust preventive.
Let those dry for a few days, then lightly sanded again with grit 500, and applied the same color as I painted the roof; An Ivory white, named Toyota 033.
Again, the rims needed to dry for a few days, or better said, hardened. Because the procedure of getting the tires on might easily scratch the paint. I know this will always happen, but I just tried to minimalism the damage.
See pics for an impression.